The greater Rochester region has the cultural, entertainment and leisure opportunities of a big city. The area is renowned for its theater, music, dance, an impressive range of museums and both large and intimate art galleries. The arts scene features many prominent institutions, as well as a flourishing array of mid- and small-sized theaters and clubs with just about every form of music. The community hosts festivals of world-wide importance, as well as ones that contribute to neighborhood vitality. And a rapidly growing emphasis on public art has enlivened many parts of the region.
Active recreation opportunities abound. From professional sports teams to championship golf courses, college and high school sports and abundant amateur sports venues, area residents have virtually limitless opportunities - as both participants and spectators.
The great outdoors provides year-round opportunities for exercise, relaxation and family fun. Hiking, biking, boating, fishing and skiing are just a few of the many activities available. Our system of parks is unparalleled, from gems like Letchworth State Park, Highland Park and Ontario Beach Park, to the many city, town and village parks that dot the area. The area's ever-expanding network of trails and bike paths bring the outdoors closer to more residents than ever before.
A 2014 National Center for Arts Research Report ranked Rochester MSA 20 out of 937 unique MSAs analyzed for arts vibrancy. Rochester is among Washington DC, NYC, Boston, and San Francisco as part of the Top 20 Large Cities with Vibrant Arts.
For ACT Rochester, we have selected indicators that track participation, arts education and community support for the arts.
Helpful Hints when Browsing this Section:
- The measures for this topic are listed under the "Topic Indicators" heading on this page.
- By clicking on any of these indicators, you can view the details relating to that measure, including the source of the data and any limitations.
- You can also create your own customized charts with this information.
- To gain a broader context for the measures, click on "Key Trends".
- For information about community efforts to address the issues presented by the indicators, click on "What's Being Done".
- "Resources" provides links to a variety of information sources.
Banner photo provided by Ken Huth and Geva Theatre Center, top Photo provided by VisitRochester/Rochester Red Wings, bottom photo provided by Petrena Hayes