The following widgets provide real time updates on unemployment trends. The first provides an overall picture of unemployment over the past three months. The second informs on monthly seasonally adjusted data for unemployment rates, providing a snapshot of how we compare to rates of the previous year. By clicking "View More Data" you can observe seasonally adjusted trends in various labor markets including manufacturing, information, government, education, etc.
Our area's economy has undergone many transformations during its history. Water-powered mills helped Rochester become the "Flour City" in the early 19th century. The opening of the Erie Canal made the city an early American boomtown, and the development of the photographic industry catapulted Rochester into a position of worldwide economic significance. Today we are transforming to a more diverse economy focused on high-technology industry, education, health care, and a growing small and mid-sized business sector. This transformation reflects the national trend from manufacturing.
Locally, significant losses in manufacturing have been offset by gains in other sectors, particularly education and financial activities.
The Economy section includes factors affecting the collective economic well-being of the community. Employment measures, including jobs, salaries, changes in the types of jobs, and unemployment constitute the largest portion of this section. Measures of the cost of government and school districts are also included here, reflecting the relationship between government services, educating our children, and economic activity.
For issues relating to the well-being of individuals and families, consult the Financial Self-Sufficiency section.
Helpful Hints when Browsing this Section:
- The measures for this topic are listed under the "Topic Indicators" heading on this page.
- By clicking on any of these indicators, you can view the details relating to that measure, including the source of the data and any limitations.
- You can also create your own customized charts with this information.
- To gain a broader context for the measures, click on "Key Trends".
- For information about community efforts to address the issues presented by the indicators, click on "What's Being Done".
- "Resources" provides links to a variety of information sources.
Banner photo provided by Rochester Downtown Development Corp. Photo provided by Mary Holleran.