This section focuses primarily on the issues faced by our region's school-aged children with measures of school readiness, academic achievement and school environment.
Overall, education is a strong regional asset. Collectively, our area schools exceed New York state as a whole when measured by graduation rates and most indicators of academic performance.
However, dramatic disparities exist within our community, which generally reflect the demonstrated relationship between income status and educational performance.
Notes about the data:
Changes in the state's testing program over the last decade impact the comparability of test results year to year.
Helpful Hints when Browsing this Section:
- The measures for this topic are listed under the "Topic Indicators" heading on this page.
- By clicking on any of these indicators, you can view the details relating to that measure, including the source of the data and any limitations.
- You can also create your own customized charts with this information.
- To gain a broader context for the measures, click on "Key Trends".
- For information about community efforts to address the issues presented by the indicators, click on "What's Being Done".
- "Resources" provides links to a variety of information sources.
Banner photo provided by Mary Holleran/Rochester Area Community Foundation. Photo: "School 16" provided by Museum of Kids Art.